Bylaws of Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church, Louisville, Kentucky
(Crescent Hill Presbyterian Church, Inc.)
The provisions herein shall be the Bylaws of CHPC, duly adopted by its Session and members. CHPC was established as a Kentucky non-profit corporation by act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Kentucky on April 5, 1890. CHPC Articles of Incorporation were most recently amended and restated by Amended and Restated Articles of Incorporation, effective October 29, 2002.
I. Relation to the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
CHPC is a member church of the Presbytery of Mid-Kentucky in the Synod of Living Waters of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
II. Meetings of the Members
2.1 Annual and Special.
(1) There shall be an annual meeting of the members on the date fixed by Session, at which at least the following business shall be presented: annual reports from committees and other church organizations and Session (information only), financial report for the preceding year, budget for the current year (information only), changes in the terms of call for the pastor(s), and election of members to serve on the nominating committee.
(2) Special meetings may be called by Session. Such calls shall state clearly the purpose of such special meetings, and business shall be restricted to that which is specified in the call.
(3) All meetings shall be opened and closed with prayer.
Notice of the meetings shall be given in printed and verbal form on at least two successive Sundays prior to the meeting.
Either the pastor or an associate pastor shall moderate the meetings.
The clerk of Session shall serve as secretary. If the clerk is not present or is unable to serve, the congregation shall elect a secretary.
The secretary shall record the minutes of the meeting.
The quorum of a meeting of the congregation shall be one-tenth of the active members of the congregation; provided, however, for any meeting to call a pastor pursuant to G-2.0803 of the Book of Order, or to dissolve the pastoral relationship pursuant to G-2.0903, the quorum shall be 20% of active members. The secretary shall determine that a quorum is present.
The governing body of CHPC shall be the Session.
3.1 Elders.The congregation shall elect a session of a minimum of nine ruling elders divided into three equal classes, one class of whom shall be elected each year at a congregational meeting for a three-year term.Ruling elders shall be nominated by the nominating committee selected by the members. No elder shall serve for consecutive terms, either full or partial, aggregating more than six years. An elder having served a total of six years shall be ineligible for reelection to Session for a period of at least one year. Session shall form such committees as necessary to carry out its work. Session also shall annually elect a treasurer.
Deacons shall be nominated by the nominating committee and elected by the members.
3.3 Quorum and Actions.
The quorum of Session shall be at least one-third of elders (excluding the moderator) currently serving on Session; except that for purposes of receiving new members of the congregation, two ruling elders (excluding the moderator) currently serving on Session shall constitute a quorum. Unless otherwise provided in the Articles of Incorporation, the actions of Session shall be taken by affirmative vote of a majority of Session members presiding.
3.4 Clerk of Session.
Session shall elect a ruling elder to serve as clerk. The clerk of Session shall be elected by Session. The clerk shall serve on a one-year (renewable) basis.
IV. Nominating Committee
CHPC’s nominating committee for the purpose of nominating officers of the church shall be constituted as follows:
(1) There shall be five members on the nominating committee.
(2) Two of the members shall be elders designated by Session, both of whom shall be currently serving on Session.
(3) Two of the members (at-large members), not currently serving on Session, shall be nominated and elected at the annual meeting of the congregation.
(4) One member shall be a deacon (if any shall then be serving), designated by the deacons and approved by Session.
(5) If there are no serving deacons, there shall be five members on the nominating committee.
These Bylaws may be amended by action of the Session as approved by the members (upon majority vote of members present at a congregational meeting).
Approved by the Session: March 28, 2012 and by the members: October 28, 2012.
Clerk of Session
Amending Section 3.3 approved by the Session on July 26, 2017 and by members on October 8, 2017.
Clerk of Session
Date: October 8, 2017
Copyright © 2023 Crescent Hill Presbyterian - All Rights Reserved.